Top Stories by CloudCommons 2012
Cloud conjures up new IT roles; apps & business issues are front & center
By Jay Fry, CA Technologies
So you’ve managed to avoid going the way of the dodo, and dodged the IT job
“endangered species list” I talked about earlier. Great. Now the question
is, what are some of the roles within IT that cloud computing is putting
front & center? My thoughts are based on what I’ve heard and discussed with
IT folks, analysts, and other vendors recently. Many of those thoughts even
resonated well with what I’ve heard this week here at the Gartner Data
Center Conference in Las Vegas. Read the full article.
The big cloud news this week was Amazon Web Services kicking WikiLeaks off
its servers, setting off a firestorm of reaction about First Amendment Rights
(read these articles from PC World and SearchCloudComputing for more on the
controversy). Amaz... (more)
This Week in Cloud on the go!
Download the This Week in Cloud iPhone app. Now it’s even easier to get
your weekly cloud news and perspectives.
IT spending is on the rise, according to this New York Times article. Recent
figures published by Gartner state that IT spending will increase by 3% from
2011, more than was previously predicted. Cloud computing is one of the main
contributors to the increased spending as more companies start to adopt the
technology. Spending on public cloud services is predicted to rise from $91b
in 2011 to $109b in 2012. Still, cloud services r... (more)
Watch CloudViews Unplugged!
Watch the latest episode of CloudViews Unplugged – Andi Mann and George
Watt of CA Technologies take a look at the best cloud predictions for 2013.
Research In Motion (RIM) has sold NewBay, its cloud services company, to
Synchronoss Technologies for $55.5 million, according to this Talkin’ Cloud
article. The acquisition will expand the global presence of Synchronoss and
add the major mobile operators in Europe to its customer list.
Amazon Web Services experienced an outage which left Netflix customers
without service on Christmas Eve, accordin... (more)
Cloud Commons introduces This Week in Cloud – a concise, insightful, and
thought-provoking newsletter that will keep you current on cloud computing.
Each edition features top news stories, upcoming industry events, and market
perspectives that will provide valuable insight for both new initiates and
cloud computing veterans. This Week in Cloud can be found on the Cloud
Commons website or you can register to receive the newsletter via email.
About Cloud Commons
Cloud Commons is an independent online community of IT professionals,
analysts, technology providers, and industry experts... (more)
Feature Article The 110-year-old light bulb is a little too much like
By Jay Fry, CA Technologies
Last weekend the San Francisco Chronicle had a big write-up on a crazy
fluke of technology: a light bulb that has been working for over a
century without burning out. The celebrity bulb hangs from a ceiling, high
above a Livermore, Calif., fire department, and has baffled anyone trying to
figure out why it is still functioning after 110 years. The curious part
about the "centennial bulb" - and the part that strikes me as having some
relevance to the IT systems we know a... (more)
- This Week in Cloud, October 20, 2011: Gartner report: 9 contractual terms to reduce risk in cloud contracts, IBM SmartCloud and acquisition of Platform Computing, News from VMworld Copenhagen, Symantec VIP Intelligent Authentication, Cloud cannibalism: is
- This Week in Cloud, November 3, 2011: Dropbox launches SMB service, Internap launches first publicly available OpenStack cloud service. Security flaws in AWS identified, 5 cloud lessons learned from IT finance gurus. And more…
- NIST Announces Security Standards for Cloud
- US Government Saves $5.5B From Cloud
- This Week in Cloud, May 17, 2012: Google says cloud is reaching tipping point, SAP’s cloud plans, Cloud improves security. And more…
- This Week in Cloud, October 12, 2012: IBM & AT&T’s cloud offering, CIO survey reveal cloud growth, Cloud cartoon caption contest. And more…
- This Week in Cloud, December 6, 2012: Cloud predictions for 2013, EMC & VMware’s new business unit, 1 in 5 employees use Dropbox. And more…
- IBM Watson Helps Fight Cancer from the Cloud
- This Week in Cloud, March 28, 2013: BSA global cloud scorecard, Availability & security issues for AWS users, Cloud computing taxes. And more…
- TechViews: Digital economy uses 10% of the world’s electricity, AWS remains the top cloud provider, 1.3 billion mobile workers by 2015 and more!
- Weekly Cloud News from Cloud Commons
- This Week in Cloud
- This Week in Cloud
- This Week in Cloud, April 26, 2013: AWS S3 reaches 2 trillion objects, CA Technologies acquires Layer 7 & Nolio, CSA cloud guidelines for SMBs. And more…
- This Week in Cloud, November 8, 2012: Netflix releases code for AWS, Google cloud powers agricultural monitoring, Cloud standards and innovation. And more…
- This Week in Cloud, March 10, 2011
- TechViews: Make Your Big Data Worth the Investment; The Top 5 Cloud Security Concerns for Your Business and more!
- US Patriot Act: Red Herring?
- Rackspace and Amazon Wars Heat Up
- TechViews: Sonic moves to cloud to utilize big data, Major roadblocks to mobile enterprise apps, Social media natives will change your business